classification of crops based on their uses
CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS BASED ON THEIR USES
In this classification, crops are divided into the following categories:
Cereal crops: These crops belong f to the grass family and they provide carbohydrate, e.g, maize, rice, millet, guinea corn, wheat, barley and oats.
(2) Pulses (grain legumes): These crops are rich sources of protein, e.g. cowpea, soya beans,
groundnut, lima bean and pigeon pea.
(3) Roots and tuber crops: These crops produce tubers under the ground and they provide
carbohydrates, e.g., cassava, yam, cocoyam, sweet potato, beets and carrot.
(4) Vegetable crops: These crops provide vitamins and minerals e.g amaranthus, onion, okra,
cauliflower, spinach, bitter leaf and talinum.
(5) Fruit crops: These also provide vitamins and minerals, e.g., orange, banana, pineapple, mango, pawpaw and cashew.
(6) Beverage crops: These provide food drinks when processed, e. cocoa, coffee and tea, kola nut.
(7) Spices: These also provide vitamins and minerals. They also add flavour to our stew or soup, e.g. ginger, pepper and onion.
(8) Oil crops: These are crops which can provide oil when processed both for domestic and industrial uses, e.g., oil palm, groundnut, melon, coconut, soya bean, cotton.
(9) Fibre crops: These are crops used for making clothing materials, ropes and bags, e.g. cotton, sisal, hemp, kenaf and hibiscus.
(10) Latex crops: These are crops which provide some white sticky liquid or latex used in plastic industries, e.g., rubber.
popular post of all time
WEEDS AND THEIR BOTANICAL NAMES The names of these weeds are as follows in detail Wild potato or moring glory--Striga senegalensis Broom w...
AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS TYPES AND USES OF SIMPLE FARM TOOLS OR IMPLEMENTS. During agricultural production farmers carry out many farm op...
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF MECHANIZATION Farm mechanization is the use of Farm mechanization is the use of large farm implement. Farm...
what is Pre-planting operations? These are operations carried out before sowing. They include choosing of site, clearing, stumping, plo...
TWENTY (20) DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SUBSISTENCE AND COMMERCIAL AGRICULTURE THERE A LOT OF difference between subsistence and commercial agric...
post Planting operations These are activities carried out by the farmer after land preparation. They are what the farm...
CULTURAL Practices in agriculture Cultural practices are all the activities carried out on the farm before, during and after planting of c...
Sources of farm power Farm power can be described as any source of energy( energy transfer in an ecosystem read here ) or force that can be...
FARM BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES 1. Identify different types of farm buildings and structures. 2. Outline the uses of the various buildings ...
Agricultural nomenclature Agricultural nomenclature The system of naming crops and weeds is based on that introduced by the Swedish Natu...
Areas of Specialization in Agriculture The following are the different areas.which one can specialize in the study of agriculture: 1. So...